ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.
Agate gemstone has been a trend on Pinterest, where one can easily find many inspirational decor pictures using agate items. Designers are introducing agate stone on many projects, from big statement pieces such full countertops and walls done in detailed agate, to decorative items around the home…So, why this gemstone is gaining more and more attention each day?
AS A RULE, AGATE HAS A STRIPED APPEARANCE WITH GREEN, YELLOW, RED, AND BROWN BEING THE MOST COMMON COLOR SCHEMES.
- Formation: common semi-precious mineral, a variety of chalcedony, and a translucent variety of microcrystalline quartz as its primary components.
- Color: comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Agates have a banded structure, successive layers being approximately parallel to the sides of the cavity. As a rule, agate has a striped appearance with green, yellow, red, and brown being the most common color schemes. Natural colors are brown, red, lilac, pink, yellow as well as black, gray, and white. It is quite a porous gemstone, therefore, readily accepts dye.
- Price Range: depends on the type. However, the natural green and blue ones, being more difficult to find, tend to be more expensive.
- Origin: agate is found throughout the world. Brazil and Uruguay being prominent suppliers.
- Benefits: excellent stone for rebalancing and harmonizing body, mind, and spirit
DID YOU KNOW, THE AGATE STONE WAS GIVEN ITS NAME BY THEOPHRASTUS, A GREEK PHILOSOPHER? HE DISCOVERED THE STONE ALONG THE SHORE LINE OF THE ACHATE RIVER IN SICILY, SOMETIME BETWEEN THE 4TH AND 3RD CENTURIES BC
SOME OF THE MOST COMMON AGATE STONE TYPES:
- Brazilian agate: Is found as sizable geodes of layered nodules.These occur in brownish tones inter-layered with white and gray.
- Fortification Agate: Most Common. Concentric lines which follow the outline of the cavity in which they were formed.
- Water-line Agate: Has a succession of parallel lines.
- Onyx: usually black and white agate (a water-line agate)
- Sardonyx: similar to onyx with parallel banding but with red and white coloring
- Crazy Lace Agate: Lace-like pattern with forms such as eyes, swirls, bands or zig zags. Is white or creamy based agate with swirls of red or brown
WHY USE AGATE IN YOUR HOME DECOR?
Items made of this stone are able to unite unique elements of nature, with glamor and luxury, still giving off an organic beauty. Bringing refinement to the decor. Our tip is to use agate stone as a touch of color and interest in more neutral decors. Gemstones usually pair well with metals and wood.
Since the agate stone has a unique combination of energies it can be used for good feng shui. The agate combines the strength and solidity of the stone with the fluidity of the water element and the translucency of air. The recommendation is to place the agate stone in any area of your home that needs gentle healing and more expression.
Check out these fantastic inspirational photos on Pinterest: http://bit.ly/agaterock